Sunday, September 27, 2009

Kumaravadivelu, Chapter 4

Kuma makes some good points throughout chapter 4. Section 4.2, "Causes of Stereotypes" draws on a important issue. A good potion of stereotypes are learned through our personal interactions. They are from our family, friends and community. We pass judgment on the same things our teachers have taught us. We, as individuals, need to differentiate between what is known and what is perceived, only then can stereotypes vanish.

But then again, as Kuma says, there are good stereotypes. Stereotypes can increase self-esteeme and create a sense of belonging. The question is, then, should we ignore the bad and only mention the good? I don't know.

I will say this about negative stereotypes. I was trying to find a parking place in Pittsburgh's South Side. With no luck on the main street, I opted for a "nice" looking side street. I found one. I also found a group of kids (I'll say kids because none of them were over 5 ft. They were pretty short), dressed in baggy pants and shirts. They all had hats on one side and bandanas under their hats. There was a mix of races, black white and hispanic. I opted not to park here because of the "gangster" stereotype I associated with these kids. Good thing too. During the evening, a group of people broke into 15 some cars and stole a bunch of stuff. I don't know if these kids were the vandals, but I am happy that I didn't park there. I know it's not good to stereotype but, in this case, I'm happy I did.

I'm not sure if I could imagine a world without stereotypes. I think it's become a subconscious habit that everyone has.

I generally enjoy reading about cultural stereotypes. It's important to recognize that they exist and that individuals still place emphasis on them. It's also important to understand how they became. As future educators, we have to teach our students to pay little attention to the stereotypes they use and that are placed upon them.

No comments:

Post a Comment