Friday, September 4, 2009

Q's TESOL at Forty: What are the issues?

Alright, so this wasn't too bad of an article to read. Hopefully the others are as good.

My first question deals with Brown's third main theme "Focus on Method," page 19. From my understanding, his method centers learning on student based needs and wants within language learning. That's all fine and dandy, and I agree that classroom material should be centered on what students want to learn, but how can you determine when you're students are being lazy?

For instance, I know some of my fellow classmates have taught, how did you guys handle information that you students wanted to learn as opposed to information they needed to learn? I'm sure we've all been in class when our professors have thrown out the lesson plan for the day to discuss and teach things of more interest. Again, that's cool and definitely more interesting, but what happens if your class is unwilling to learn if you say no?

You can't just fail the whole class, can you?


My second question comes from the "Focus on Sociopolitical and Geographical Issues" section. I would like to assume that everyone has had a brain slip or two when dealing with non-native language speakers. I know I've had an "Um..." moment in a German grocery store line, but that's what helps you learn. Canagarajah says that structured English immersion (SEI) doesn't work because it "reduces flexibility and severly limits the amount of time learners are given ESL instruction before being fully mainstreamed into regular classes."

I get it. It's hard to learn a different language. I'm sure it's just as hard to learn Japanese or Chinese as it is to learn English. Different mouth movements, sounds you've never used before, it's hard.

So how long should a person be taught another language before they're thrown to the masses? Two weeks, three weeks, a year? Everyone learns at different paces. Maybe it isn't such a bad thing to be throw into class before your ready. In order to really learn a language, in my opinion, you have to emerse yourself into the culture and language before you can really understand it. You're going to have those times where you have no idea what to say and that's okay. That's how you learn.

I realize that with classrooms it's a little different. You only have an hour a day, five days a week to teach a student language. They're going to be behind in the class because they don't understand, but at the same time, it'll force them to understand and think a little harder.

I'm not sure. Just things I thought of while reading...

I hope I'm not the first one to post my questions...

Hope everyone has a good holiday weekend. See you next monday.

-ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment